Until November 30, 2016, you need a visa to travel to or transit through Canada. Starting December 1, 2016, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to or transit through Canada.

If you know what kind of visa you need, get the forms and steps to:

If you are not sure what kind of visa you will need, try the Come to Canada tool. It will help you decide which visa will work best for you.

Carry proper travel documents and identification

You must also make sure that you:

To find out what else you may need to know before you come to Canada, see Arriving in Canada.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

The Government of Canada’s official website to apply for an eTA. It only costs $7 CAD. Most eTA applications are approved within minutes of applying.

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa.

Note: The leniency period that allows travellers to board their flight without an eTA ends soon.

Be prepared: Apply for an eTA before you book your flight to Canada. Most applicants get approved within minutes.  However, some applications can take several days to process so don’t wait until the last minute.

Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.

Source: Canada Immigration Centre @